Sunday, December 09, 2007

Soon is Relative, and Ambiguous

So. Lately I've been busy working, preparing for work, recovering from work, you know the story. Plus various mechanical, electronic, and karmic malfunctions, eating time and causing frustration. For example, Friday evening I had dinner with my mother. After months of silence, she suddenly started phoning me and asking me when I was going to come to dinner. When I ran out of excuses, I agreed to show up. Conversation was a poorly edited movie, directed perhaps by Woody Allen. Whatever I asked her, she answered whatever question was in her head at the time. I've learned to go along with whatever seems real to her, even if it means that " You must be dreaming" if I remember giving her a computer. She thinks she's good at covering her senility,and it scares her when she gets confused, so we go with the flow to avoid tantrums. She used to be like Livia on the Sopranos, but she was quite mellow Friday.

As I sat there thinking at least I'll get points for accepting her dinner invitation, she asked " What made you decide to call me after all this time? " Conversation was sparse after I reminded her that she called me. Oh well.

On a positive note, I've discovered a website that lets you cancel the mail catalogs you don't want to receive anymore. I read about it on Mason-Dixon Knitting.
www.catalogchoice.org

2 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

Thanks for that link -- I definitely need to reduce the # of catalogs coming in.

4:59 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

P.S. I'm going through a similar experience with my mother, although, thankfully, she's got my dad to take care of her.

5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home