Friday, December 28, 2007

Christmas Traditions


When I was a kid, I'd wake up in the middle of the night at Christmas, sneak downstairs, and open all my presents. At first I was very careful to peel the tape from the wrapping paper, so I could reconstruct the scene. Eventually, when I got too old to spank, I just ripped them open.

I still do that. It's the only Christmas tradition that survived my childhood. More have been acquired, however. An old friend gave me a copy of Dylan Thomas' A Child's Chistmas in Wales, and I like to re-read it every year. The most accessible tradition for the many folks who read my blog - all three of you - is a story that NPR broadcasts at Christmas. Short and sweet. I recommend it. I can't seem to provide a link, seeing as Machines Are All Against Me, so Google John Henry Faulk's Christmas Story. (So there, stupid computer.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

That is a sweet story. :-)

9:26 PM  
Blogger knitmd said...

For a number of years, for me it was endlessly watching The Santa Clause ... it explained all the mystique of Christmas without blowing it for believers!

Happy New Year!

4:37 AM  
Blogger vlb5757 said...

I have never heard of that book, so now I have to go and find it. Thanks for sharing with the three of us! lol! I discovered there was no Santa when we dug through my parents closet one year. It was a bit of a let down, but we stil believe, because without it, what would there be??

9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home